If you stroll around your local supermarket, you will probably see food items that contain the words “Gluten-Free”. They have become rampant nowadays, and you may be thinking why that is.
Well, Gluten is a protein that has a negative impact for people who have celiac disease. If they are consuming Gluten-filled foods, they will have a hard time digesting the food because of the said disease.
That is why, there are a lot of Gluten-free products nowadays. Here is a quick trivia for you: did you know that there is a particular diet called the “Gluten-Free” Diet? Yes, there is a diet plan specifically made for people with Celiac disease.
Originally, this diet plan was created to help people with Celiac disease digest foods the normal way. But, according to recent research, the Gluten-Free diet actually helps people lose a lot of weight. It seems that Gluten can be a culprit when people want to lose weight.
With that being said, what are the things you need to know about the Gluten-Free diet? Well, here the most important points of the Gluten-Free Diet:
- Abolish Wheat. If a food says “Wheat” on the label, then shun it or throw it away. The premise of the Gluten-Free diet is to eat healthy meals without any Gluten content on it. Wheat is a source of Gluten, so be sure to avoid it at all costs.
- Breaded food. Are you fond of breaded chicken or breaded porkchop? If you are, then stop breading them. Most breading mix found on the market contains Gluten, because some of them are made of wheat flour. This can be a hard thing for some, but remember that we are getting rid of Gluten-filled foods, right?
- Gluten-Free Beer. Beer is a great drink to be shared with your friends and family. But, you have to be aware what that beer was made of. If it is made of wheat or rye, then do not buy them. Both of these ingredients contain Gluten.
- The transition can be difficult. People who are transitioning to the Gluten-free diet may find it very difficult at first because they are probably accustomed to eating Gluten-filled foods. But, they do not have to worry, because in today’s world, there are already a lot of Gluten-free foods stacked in Supermarket’s shelves.
Since we talked about what you should avoid, let’s talk about foods that you should eat when you are on the Gluten-Free diet. Here is a list of foods that can be eaten while you’re on the Gluten-Free diet:
- Farm Fresh Eggs
- Unprocessed Meat and Poultry
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Most Dairy Products
- Gluten-Free Flower
Take note, always look at the labels of the foods you’re going to buy. Make sure that they are gluten-free (most foods are indicated with a gluten-free label).
So, what is the degree of difficulty for this diet? Well, the Gluten-Free diet is rated difficult. Most people have a hard time transitioning to the Gluten-Free diet because they had to change the way they buy foods.
But, as mentioned before, the Gluten-Free diet is very good in terms of weight-loss because people have reported that they lost a lot of weight because of the diet. If you are unsure, consult a licensed dietitian.